Assay: A Journal of Nonfiction Studies
Assay publishes the best peer-reviewed critical scholarship of creative nonfiction to provide a space for work that elevates the genre in an academic setting. While there is no shortage of craft pieces and craft texts, the focus of nonfiction analysis has been on the art of the genre. Critical scholarship that studies nonfiction as literature, not simply art, is lacking in our genre. Our purpose is to facilitate all facets of that conversation to be a resource for writers, scholars, readers, and teachers of nonfiction.
Our online format makes research materials more accessible to scholars, but it also utilizes the available technology to expand the discussion. In addition to the written expression of nonfiction criticism, Assay provides the space for both written and video interviews with writers, as well as providing for more informal discussions of reading and teaching in the genre.
- We DO NOT accept submissions of creative nonfiction and we DO NOT accept submissions of scholarly articles on fiction or poetry.
- We only accept unpublished material; we ask for first serial rights and the publication rights revert to you after publication.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your work is being considered elsewhere--and if it is accepted, please inform us immediately.
- Response time is generally within 6-8 weeks. If you have not heard in this time frame, please feel free to send and email and ask.
- We publish twice a year: October 1 and April 1.
- Submission periods are April 1-June 1 and October 1-December 1.
- Revise and Resubmit submissions will be treated as brand new submissions, without history or expectation of publication.
- It is our policy to respond as quickly as possible while maintaining editorial thoroughness of the peer-review process because we are also writers and we respect the time commitment on the part of the writers. For this reason, we encourage simultaneous submissions (but please let us know if this is the case). If your work is accepted elsewhere, please let us know immediately.